The role of the leader in facilitating this approach to conflict resolution is to listen supportively to the concern (without necessarily agreeing with the points being raised), and to help the employee reflect on the situation by asking coaching questions such as:
- Can you think of ways that you may have contributed to this situation?
- How do you think the other person is seeing this situation?
- What things could you do to bring about a resolution by yourself?
- Is there a simple change to your own thinking or behaviour that you could make in order to solve this?
- What advantages and disadvantages can you see to escalating this further?
Such questions can allow employees to express emotions, explore perceptions and weigh up the options available. Sometimes this is enough for the conflict to be resolved before it really gets started which helps minimise disruption to working relationships and productivity.
Learn more about what it means to facilitate healthy conflict at PEEL HR's upcoming half-day workshop in Melbourne…WHEN: 9am-1pm Thurs 30 Oct
WHERE: McLean Delmo Board Room. 3/302 Burwood Rd Hawthorn Victoria.
COST: $450 + GST per person (morning tea included)
REGISTER NOW at http://www.peelhr.com.au/workshops or call 1300 665 1441300 665 144
Interactive Leaders Guide
PEEL HR have also developed an Interactive Leaders Guide that provides practical and engaging tips, checklists and videos so they are equipped to identify and facilitate healthy conflict within their teams. You can see a FREE VIDEO SAMPLE HERE.